Market time

I am fairly excited, next week I am going to have a stall at a market. I will be selling my handkerchiefs and napkins. I have a few knitted dishcloths but not many. I have no idea if anything will sell.

I have decided to go to a rural market first to test the waters with a much cheaper stall cost. I have been sewing nearly everyday with varying levels of commitment. I have lots and lots of stuff to take with me.

I did a trial set up of the table.

IMG_4392Obviously I will iron everything so it doesn’t look so wrinkly. Plus it won’t have a picture of Brighton (UK) in the picture frame, it will have a price list.

I made the bunting from scraps left over from either the napkins or the handkerchiefs. They are not particularly even or neat but they look bright and cheerful. They will eventually make it to the chicken coop, I have always wanted to have some colourful bunting for the ladies’ house.

IMG_4391

Advertisements

Christmas is sneaking closer

Today is the first day of Summer!! So exciting. The sun was shining, the ladies were talkative, the garden growing. Glorious.

 

IMG_4399
A gaggle of geese, a murder of crows, a dazzle of zebras, what is the collective noun for sunflowers? So many, so lovely!

This also means Christmas is just around the corner. On the weekend I started preparing my gifts. This year I am giving a jar of salted caramel. A jar of home grown herbal tea, and a jar of garlic salt.

It is a testament to my love of jars that I have enough in the cupboard for this.

IMG_4397
Somewhat obsessed with sunflowers. They look like happy flowers 🙂

The salted caramel is done in the oven. It is a fairly lengthy process but hands off. Minimal attention is required. My favourite type of cooking. I have done 9 jars. I still need to do about 3 or 4 more.

IMG_4400
It tastes really good, I will take another picture when I have made them a bit pretty.

Then I need to start testing the ratio for the tea I want to give. It will be a peppermint/lemon verbena/chamomile blend. I hope people like it.

I have dehydrated the first batch of garlic, I think I will need to do another batch and then that is done. I already bought a large jar of salt. I will not do the final mix til just before I give it.

I generally like to make 3 things to give at Christmas (except last year when I knitted dish cloths for everyone, that was way too time consuming so they only got 2 gifts) It takes me ages to think what those 3 things will be, this year it was November before I really knew what I was giving. Last year I started brewing the vanilla essence and knitting in June so November is quite late for me.

Despite the effort that goes into making gifts each year I still prefer that than buying for the sake of buying when you don’t even know if they will like it but if you buy it anyway so that they are ticked off the list,  job done.

I hope everyone’s Christmas preparations are going smoothly and are as stress free as possible!

Doin’ some DIY-ing

The house that I live in was renovated by the people who lived here before. Always with the intention of selling it straight away. They did a bad job, a lot of DIY with no care or attention to detail.

I am too lazy to fix some of the stuff, seriously who doesn’t paint between things.

IMG_3994

Who doesn’t fix that as soon as they notice it…. me, six years later, it is still unpainted. Anyway…

IMG_3904

So this is behind the sink in the kitchen, I figure there is a lot of water in this area. I am a notoriously messy dish washer, I rarely walk away with a dry sweater and the area around the sink is normally wet. The other day a few ants came in from there. That was the line that apparently I was waiting for.

I put on my DIY cape and decided no research was required I would just borrow my brothers caulking gun and gap filler then caulk a layer of silicone over the top. It appears as though when they renovated they did use gap filler at the bottom but neglected to water proof it. Hence the breaking down and disappearing of the gap filler.

IMG_3903

This is the where the kitchen tiles meet the pantry. This is how it has looked since the day we moved in. They used an inflexible grout here and it probably cracked nearly straight away. I have had intentions of fixing it but just never have.  So I got the sharpest kitchen knife I could find and proceeded to remove the remaining gap filler and grout.

IMG_3907It took a while but I got it all out. I cleaned and dried the area. I used the caulking gun and my fingers to refill the gap. I let it dry and then covered it with silicone. It now looks like this.

IMG_3992

Much neater, but it does make the grout look a bit dirty. Oh well! I did up the wall between the tiles and the pantry so it now looks like this, I did not silicone this as it shouldn’t get wet.

IMG_3991

This, in my mind, was a success. Time will tell if I used enough silicone. If it holds up for the next year I will call it a resounding success.